I have experience in proofreading fiction and non-fiction, as well as marketing materials, magazines and websites. My specialist science communication background provides me with the expertise to check consumer health and popular science publications.
I proofread fiction for various publishers, as well as individual authors. References are available on request.
A few examples of books I have proofread:
As well as checking for typos, I’m looking for various errors, including:
- incorrect spelling, punctuation and grammar
- incorrect hyphenation
- incorrect spelling of names and places (including non-English names and places)
- ambiguous or confusing words
- incorrect phrasing
- missing words and unfinished sentences
- inconsistencies in the style of numbers, dates and times
- inconsistencies in spacing and/or font size, colour and style
- incorrect word breaks, sentence breaks or page breaks.
I can proofread a document using track changes in Microsoft Word or by marking up a PDF, depending on the client’s personal preference. I can follow an existing style sheet and flag up any queries in comment boxes on the document. If a style sheet isn’t available, I can create one, recording my decisions about hyphenation, capitalisation, spelling and punctuation to ensure consistency and clarity.
My proofreading rates vary according to the length and complexity of the project and the expected deadline. If you would like to discuss your proofreading needs, please fill in the form on the Contact me page. References are available on request.